How do you launch a new brand into a crowded Greek Yogurt marketplace on a regional basis with limited marketing and media spend? The client asked for a large “Splash” event to help drive earned PR media, as well as offer a unique opportunity to invite existing and potential retail partners to the event. The launch event needed to be thematic and align with the pink and purple colors of the heart shaped product. Giving consumers the chance to sample the product was also very important. Most of all, this launch event needed to be unique. Big ideas with heart were needed.
Because Mixim Yogurt has a unique heart shaped package, launching this product around Valentine’s Day made great sense to help drive media and awareness for the Mixim Greek Yogurt brand. Sandbox Marketing proposed a takeover of the iconic Queen Mary ship in Long Beach and turning it pink for a Valentine’s Day launch event. In addition to product sampling, a VIP experience for the Mixim guests was of utmost importance.
Making a big splash in the Los Angeles market is tough to do and you have to think big. One of the biggest things in LA is the historic Queen Mary cruise ship. What if we did something crazy like turn the Queen Mary PINK for a Valentine’s Day launch? We could use the Queen Mary as a canvas for the Mixim brand logos, including branded Mixim logos on the smoke stacks. Add in the use of the hangar from the original Spruce Goose as a secondary canvas and we had the makings of a great branded event right in the heart of LA. The “MIXIM LOVE BOAT” launch event was born. Nothing speaks love and romance better than the band Journey, so we brought in the #1 Journey Tribute band DSB to belt out some great Journey hits like “Faithfully” and “Don’t Stop Believin”. Layer in some amazing fireworks for the end of the night and you have one great VIP Mixim product launch event.
To increase our media reach, Sandbox also worked with Guinness World Records in advance of the event to set a world record on The Queen Mary for “Most Couples Simultaneously Feeding Each Other” with Mixim Greek Yogurt. This media draw was huge because if we set the Guinness World Record, then Mixim would donate $20,000 to their partner charity, the Children’s Heart Foundation.
To expand our reach and layer in a huge social media push, bloggers were invited and consumers were encouraged to share their photos with #miximlove tagged to each photo. With every shared photo Mixim would donate $1 to Children’s Heart Foundation, which will drive great media push on site. All photos will be streamed to the Mixim website for consumers to view through
- Over 2500 VIP’s and consumers attended the Mixim launch event
- First time that the historic Queen Mary was ever turned a color garnered massive attention for the Mixim brand generating 143 million impressions from PR announcement on national wire
- Guinness World Record achieved with 218 “Couples Simultaneously Feeding Each Other”
- Over 5,400 samples distributed in an 8 hour period
- Social media shared photos totaled 1,112 photos
- 4.1 million impressions from social media shares on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Vine
- 14 million impressions from public relations push
- Almost 15,000 “Year Of Love” Sweeps entries
- 64 pre & post event blog posts totaled 3.9 million impressions
- Creative Development
- Logistics Management
- Event Negotiation
- Installation Management
- Visual Design
- Branding & Identity
- User Experience
- Conceptual Design
- Event Management
- Audio/Video Production
- Event Planning
- Experience Management
- Budget Adherence
- Detailed Event Summary with Analytics and ROI Analysis